Some cool Baltimore theater images:
Construction of Alabama Theatre
Image by Dystopos
The Alabama Theatre was constructed between April and December, 1927 on 3rd Avenue North in Birmingham, Alabama for Paramount’s Publix Theater division. The first feature, shown the day after the Christmas 1927 grand opening, was "The Spotlight" starring Esther Rawlson and Neil Hamilton.
This view from 18th Street at the alley between 2nd and 3rd avenues, shows the steel frame being erected in late spring or summer. It was made by commercial photographer A. C. Keily, whose studio was located at 404 1-2 N. 20th St. a few blocks away.
Signs visible in the lower left of this view include the marquee of the Lyric Theatre, a construction sign reading "Steel Erection by Jas. H. Elkins Const. Co, Birmingham, Ala." Another construction sign for "H. W. Peerson Drilling Co. ("Wells drilled. Any size, Any Depth, Any Where"), and a sign on the 2-story building for the Baltimore Medical Institute, above a storefront for "… Silverfield & Son".
This print is mounted on linen with Keily’s label affixed to the leading edge.